Applying For Special Immigrant Juveniles Status

Undocumented immigrants under 21 years of age who are neglected, abused or abandoned by one or both parents can apply for Special Immigrant Juveniles (SIJS) status. The SIJS program is designed to help young people without parental support become lawful permanent residents of the United States.

If you have been abused, abandoned or neglected by a parent, the Law Offices of Judith C. Garcia can help. Based in Smithtown, New York (on Long Island), we have helped many young people to obtain SIJS status as the first step toward becoming a U.S. resident.

Obtain a state court order.

Before you can petition for SIJS, a state court must decide that it is unsafe for you to return to your home country and that you cannot be reunited with a parent due to abuse, neglect or abandonment. If the court decides that your situation meets these criteria, they will issue a court order that will allow you to apply for SIJS status.

We know that attending court in a foreign country can be intimidating. Our firm will guide you through requesting a hearing and prepare you for your court appearance. We will support you at every step and make sure that you know exactly what to expect. Experienced immigration lawyer Judith Garcia will clearly explain your legal situation to the court and make sure your rights are upheld.


Petition for SIJS status and lawful permanent residency.

Once you have obtained a state court order, you can apply for an SIJS visa with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The final step is to apply for lawful permanent residency, also known as a "green card."

We can help you complete these applications quickly and accurately. If you are not a native English speaker, our Spanish-speaking staff can explain the process so that you understand it fully. Podemos ayudarte en español.

Get the legal guidance you need. Call 631-993-4128 today.

If you are an undocumented immigrant who is under 21 years of age, you may be eligible for Special Juvenile Immigration Status. We will meet with you, tell you if you are able to apply and discuss what to do next at no cost. Send us a message online to arrange a free consultation with attorney Judith Garcia, or call 631-993-4128 today.

Se habla español.

Get Help Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices Of Judith C. Garcia
738 Smithtown Bypass
Smithtown, NY 11787

Phone: 631-993-4128
Fax: 631-864-2993
Map & Directions