Helping Your Relatives Immigrate to the United States of America

If you have a relative who is a lawful permanent resident or citizen of the United States and you wish to immigrate to the U.S., there are several stages to the process. The first step is for your relative to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, before you can apply for an immigrant visa.

The Law Offices of Judith C. Garcia, in Smithtown, New York (on Long Island), can help you understand your legal options and guide you through the application process. Whether you are the subject of the petition or the person filing the petition for your foreign relative, we can help you complete your application quickly and accurately.

We help you to understand your options.

The Petition for Alien Relative form is filed by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. It establishes and describes their relationship with a relative from another country. The U.S. resident can petition for a relative in another country or who is currently in the United States — even if they entered illegally.

A U.S. citizen can petition for his or her spouse, children, brothers or sisters, and parents to become U.S. residents. A permanent U.S. resident can petition for his or her spouse to become a resident, as well as any unmarried children.

Petitions for Alien Relatives

How does your petition get approved?

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve the petition before the nonresident can apply for an immigrant visa or an adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident. Because of this, it is important to complete the petition fully and accurately. We can help you file your application, with the information you provide, to give you the best chance at approval.

Call 631-993-4128 for legal guidance on filing your petition.

As an experienced, Spanish-speaking immigration lawyer, attorney Judith Garcia has helped many families join their loved ones in the United States - as well as those who are already here - and become lawful permanent residents. Set up a free consultation online or call 631-993-4128 to discuss your case. Se habla español.

Get Help Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices Of Judith C. Garcia
738 Smithtown Bypass
Smithtown, NY 11787

Phone: 631-993-4128
Fax: 631-864-2993
Map & Directions