Adjustment Of Status To Permanent Resident

Becoming a lawful permanent resident of the United States has many benefits. Many people come to the U.S. seeking safety, security and the promise of a better life.

At the Law Offices of Judith C. Garcia, in Smithtown, New York (on Long Island), we assist those who wish to immigrate in all aspects of the application process. From obtaining an immigrant visa to applying for lawful permanent residency, we will ensure that your application, based on the information you provide, is complete and correctly filed.

What is adjustment of status?

The first step toward becoming a lawful permanent resident is for a relative to complete and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. When the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your petition, you can apply for your legal permanent residence.

After traveling to the United States on a valid immigrant visa, you can apply for lawful permanent residency, also known as a "green card," without having to return to your home country. This process is known as "adjustment of status."

In some situations, you may apply for lawful permanent residency abroad and enter the United States as a permanent resident. This is known as "consular processing." If you have been unlawfully present in the United States, you must request a Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility in order to leave and apply for permanent residency in your home country. We can tell you if this is necessary and help you with your petition.

Adjustment of Status

How do you apply for adjustment of status?

Adjustment of status requires you to file numerous forms and provide your biometric information for security checks. You may also have to attend a formal interview about your application.

It is important to complete each requirement accurately and on time. Hiring a skilled attorney is essential to getting your application right the first time and avoiding rejection. Experienced immigration lawyer Judith Garcia will determine if you are able to apply for permanent residency, guide you through filing the proper paperwork, and help you to prepare for your interview.

Call for straightforward, effective legal guidance.

We have helped many clients to adjust their status and become lawful permanent residents of the United States. Call 631-993-4128 today or send us a message online to arrange a free consultation.

Se habla español.

Get Help Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices Of Judith C. Garcia
738 Smithtown Bypass
Smithtown, NY 11787

Phone: 631-993-4128
Fax: 631-864-2993
Map & Directions